Friday, October 10, 2014

Are your cells art?

Above is a picture of two human neurospheres forming connections taken through a fluorescent microscope. Microbe art is a new kind of art emerging in exhibits and galleries. One such exhibit was used as a marketing tactic to show the beauty of the work companies were doing in life science.

 A company that is taking and showing these pictures is called Biocom. The company said about the project, "The public is often unaware of the amazing beauty of life at the molecular level, because they only see the end result of the innovation that takes place in the lab." I think that this new trend is really begging people to ask the question: What is art? What is seen above I would argue is beautiful but is it art? Is it a kind of human portraiture just very zoomed in or is it just a picture of microscope slide that should have been left in the lab? I think that this brings a whole new branch to art and challenge everyone that looks at it to think about their own definition of art. Do you think this or any of the other pieces (seen here) are works of art?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for bringing this new art to my attention! I think this kind of art is extremely cool, and my favorite on the site you linked has got to be "Starburst." I think that exposing human cells and other minuscule objects that need a microscope to view is a very interesting idea to be following. I think it shows us how truly incredible our world is, and I hope to see more on this topic in the future.

    ReplyDelete