Sunday, September 7, 2014

The Beauty of The West

Every year for photography class an open ended assignment is assigned for the summer if a student is taking the class next year. This is my third year and up until now my summer film rolls have been hurried and thoughtless. My freshmen and sophomore years I had just wanted to finish my 36 shots and then get back to vacation. For my junior year I went much more in depth, I brought my camera up to my lake house in northern Michigan and shot for a good 2 hours. I didn't have any idea what I wanted my roll to be until I drove past a field with two horses. For some reason I thought of the stereotypical American West; I thought of rodeos, cowboys, and tumbleweed. I used the 36 shots to make Northern Michigan look like an old western. I took pictures with a big open sky as the backdrop and filled my middle ground with trucks, cornfields, and horses. At the time I had just thought it would make aesthetic pictures for my summer project when I got back to school but what I learned is that a professional photographer named Tim Richmond was doing something similar and calling his project "Last Best Hiding Place."

Richmond's project is full of beautiful landscapes and portraits taken in small remote towns in the far west of the country. He is a British photographer that became fascinated by the American West while watching movies as a kid. He made it his goal to capture the nostalgia and the sadness that these towns have, the sadness of the disappearing mystery of the West. The series is full of for sale signs and run down areas, the portraits are of people that almost look lost and scared. In an interview with Richmond he says that he leaves interpretation of his photos up to the viewer. I would argue that the washed out color and the desolate landscapes represent the destruction of the "myth of the west": the aura of mystery and freedom. My series of pictures, be it less extensive and less skillful is saying something similar. By comparing the nostalgic style, sepia toned prints of Michigan to Richmond's washed out, sad images of the modern small towns of America's west you see that there is barely any mystery left in our country. The term "Last Best Hiding Place" is used by people in Nevada to reference people trying to live "under the radar." Places to live uncensored and unseen are running out, maybe America's frontier has changed and maybe my photography project is showing that. I was laughing at making Michigan seem like Texas but America is running out of remote locations, and isn't that what made the West so special?

America has beauty that is ruined by cities and by masses of people, maybe it's time the country respects that fact and realizes that America is loosing its character, how can we be the land of the free without any where to "Hide."



2 comments:

  1. Although I agree with you that it is sad to see the end of America's frontier, I disagree that America's beauty is ruined by cities. I don't think something must be natural to be beautiful, if anything the human element of cities can make them more beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Henry this is very insightful. I took a look at some of the pictures in "The Last Best Hiding Place" and I definitely did not come to those conclusions. I think one of the smart things he did which rings true for all art is that he left the interpretation up to the viewer. This way, people could have many different interpretations and even have better interpretations than what he intended for. After all, a picture is worth a thousand words. If you confined the interpretation of a piece of art to just one meaning that the author/photographer intended it would ruin art in my opinion. For example, when Stanley Forman took the picture "The Soiling of Old Glory" he intended to capture a scuffle that happened in the city plaza between some anti busing protests and a black man. But, after publishing the photo people like Louis Mazur interpreted it many different ways, in this case he thought of the white kid trying to plant the flag in the black man as a way to regain a lost territory or something to that effect. And also if you've ever watched that episode of the very satirical South Park that makes fun of Catcher in the Rye, interpretation is key; the boys write a book with a bunch curse words and then all these people start interpreting it wrong and getting these absurd conclusions about politics from the book. But I digress. Your interpretation of the meaning of the photos in "The Last Best Hiding Place" were insightful and I would have to agree with them.

    ReplyDelete